Tips to Prevent Malware & Ransomware
Tips for Preventing Malware & Ransomware
If you haven’t been hit by malware or ransomware, you’re either very lucky, or you’ve taken some proactive steps to protect your computers and files. If you do get infected with ransomware, unless you’ve got back-ups, or the crooks made some kind of mistake, you’re left with either paying or losing your locked up files forever.
1. Back up your files regularly and keep a recent backup off-site. The only backup you’ll ever regret is one you left for “another day.” Backups can protect your data against more than just ransomware: theft, fire, flood or accidental deletion all have the same effect. Make sure you encrypt the backed up data so only you can restore it.
2. Don’t enable macros A lot of ransomware is distributed in Office documents that trick users into enabling macros. Microsoft has just released a new tool in Office 2016 that can limit the functionality of macros by preventing you from enabling them on documents downloaded from the internet.
3. Consider installing Microsoft Office viewers They allow you to see what a Word or Excel document looks like without macros. The viewers don’t support macros so you can’t enable them by mistake, either.
4. Be very careful about opening unsolicited attachments Most Windows ransomware in recent months has been embedded in documents distributed as email attachments.
5. Don’t give yourself more login power than necessary Don’t stay logged in as an administrator any longer than necessary. Avoid browsing, opening documents or other regular work activities while logged in as administrator.
6. Patch, patch, patch Malware that doesn’t come in via document macros often relies on bugs in software and applications. When you apply security patches, you give the cybercriminals fewer options for infecting you with ransomware.
7. Train and retrain employees in your business Your users can be your weakest link if you don’t train them how to avoid booby-trapped documents and malicious emails.
If you have questions on Malware and Ransomware, contact us today. Keep safe out there!
This Security Tip is brought to you by BlackBox Connections.
You Want Secure IT with Fast Response at the Best Price!
We are featured on Page 101 in the March ‘Business in Calgary‘ magazine